Gen Con Cancels 2020, Extends Contract with Indianapolis Through 2026

Gen Con have canceled their 2020 convention due to health and safety concerns related to the pandemic, while also extending their contract with Indianapolis through 2026.

Visit Indy, the tourism organization for the city, have told local media that the convention have extended their contract with the city two more years. Gen Con did not have more details on the contract extension when we contacted them.

Gen Con attracted more than 70,000 attendees last year, and has an estimated economic impact of $70 million for the city.

“We know this was a very difficult decision for Gen Con to make, but we understand and support their decision,” said Leonard Hoops, president and CEO of Visit Indy. “They’re great partners and we’re mutually committed for the long term. For me and so many others in our community, Gen Con 2021 can’t come soon enough.”

Gen Con CEO David Hoppe told the Indianapolis Business Journal that the cancellation have hit the organization hard as 95% of their income come from the convention. Hoppe also said they were instituting extensive cost-cutting measures, but there are no plans to lay off any employees.

Gen Con also cancelled Pop-Up Gen Con, a extension of the convention hosted at retail game stores that they started last year.

The company said they will hold a virtual event in place of the in-person convention on the original dates of July 30 – August 2. The free event will have livestreamed content, remote gaming, and other online programming. Additional details on Gen Con Online will be announced soon.

Attendees who have purchased badges for Gen Con 2020 will be contacted by email with details about rolling their badges forward to 2021 or receiving a refund, and current hotel reservations made through the Gen Con housing block will be canceled automatically and free of charge.

Gen Con 2021 will return next year on August 5 – 8.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close